A bookworm and book lover ever since I can remember, I never thought I’d be saying this, but I recently bought the new Kindle DX (9.7″ display) and absolutely love it! In the picture to the right, I downloaded 2 books while I was waiting to board a plane at the Penticton airport.
Here are some of the benefits of using a Kindle:
- Easy to read
- Font sizes are adjustable
- Saves paper
- Saves space, easy to carry a LOT of books (up to 3500)
- Super easy to get books almost anywhere quickly (you don’t need a computer to browse for and buy books)
- Kindle ebooks are inexpensive – only $9.99
- Wondering what “zabaglione” means? There’s a dictionary included
- Some digital ebooks are available before the print versions come out
- You can download book samples
- You can archive books bought on Amazon and retrieve them anytime you want
- You can load your own documents
- Some books are available in text to speech
That last feature will probably prove mighty worthwhile down the road.
In the meantime, I’ll enjoy using the adjustable font size feature and NOT having to wear my reading glasses!
Oh ya, I sprung for the “official” Amazon Kindle DX Leather Cover which cost 50 bucks. The ever the more practical (and cheap) Ed, picked up an equally good cover for his Kindle on eBay for only $20.00.
Oh and by the way, I’m not sure if the “Super easy to get books almost anywhere quickly” benefit above is really a benefit — I’m buying books every time I sit down and turn my Kindle on. A benefit to Amazon to be sure, but you could get seriously carried away in a hurry with these things. 🙂