Winter reading happens even in the Arizona desert!
Here are the books I’m currently reading (or have read) since we took to the road southbound at the beginning of November.
Prairie Fires was of special interest to me, as Laura Ingalls Wilder was my favorite author when I was a kid. Although I was rather shocked to learn that Mrs. Wilder’s portrayal of her early life in the Little House series of books was largely mythical, it didn’t diminish my adoration for the books even one little bit. Amongst its many awards, Prairie Fires won a Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award.
I was thrilled, however, to finish reading Somerset Maugham’s “Of Human Bondage“. Honestly, I felt like I was in bondage while reading this book. Autobiographical in nature, it’s obvious that Maugham was a very sad soul.
If I’d read Buddha’s Brain prior to reading “Of Human Bondage”, perhaps I would not have internalized Somerset’s sad lot to such a great extent. 🙂
I’ll keep adding to this reading list throughout the winter…
My Winter Reading for 2018 / 2019
- Wreckage – Emily Bleeker
- The Summer Wives – Beatriz Williams
- The Alice Network – Kate Quinn
- Zentangle – Jane Marbaix
- Getting Started with Zen and Ink: How to Draw and Paint a Zen-Filled Mountain Scene – Susan K. Hill
- The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body’s Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast – Hyman M.D.
- Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom – Rick Hanson
- Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder – Caroline Fraser
- The Silk Roads: A New History of the World – Peter Frankopan
- The Trouble I’ve Seen – Martha Gellhorn
- Of Human Bondage – W. Somerset Maugham
Finally, here is my complete summer reading list of 2018.